Friday, September 19, 2014

2014 RSC September Orange Week 3, Donation Baby Quilt, 8.5" Block Quilt Top


After week three of September's Orange RSC, I'll add a 6.5" sampler block to my collection. I love this block and can imagine a quilt of them. I made my orange kitten blocks earlier and pieced them into my kitten quilt that I finished earlier. Some crochet spiral scrubbies made it into the picture. They are fun to crochet. Addictive.
To see what others made with their orange scraps, go here Saturday morning.


My 8.5" RSC blocks, ten blocks from last year's challenge and thirty-eight blocks from this year's challenge, are sashed with white strips. I added an inner border of 2.5" squares and a 4" green outer border. The backing is pieced and ready to be sandwiched with batting and the quilt top to be pin basted and quilted. The top is 72.5" x 89.5". It will be interesting to see how much it shrinks during the quilting and a go in the washer and dryer. I'm very pleased with this RSC project. Looking forward to seeing it finished.


A dear friend sent me this sweet Twinkle Twinkle Little Star baby panel earlier this year. I forget how easily and quickly it is to turn a panel into a wonderful little baby quilt.


The bear in the panel is wearing a pink dress, my clue that this should be a baby girl quilt. I found a piece of novelty fabric in my scraps with little bears wearing pink dresses. A couple pieces of pink vine print on either side made a fun backing. It's sandwiched with some White and Natural cotton batting. After a loose free motion meander quilting, a light blue and white star print binding, and a go in the washer and dryer this sweet little donation quilt finished at 33.5" x 39.5". I'll take it to next weeks quilt guild meeting. They will love it.

18 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I do think those little round scrubbies are so cute. A lot blocks went into that RSC quilt and it looks fabulous. Oh, the baby quilt is adorable - great backing for it.

Pauline G said...

Hi Sheila
Love the RSC quilt and need to find the pattern for the scrunchies- they look so cute

Terri said...

Fun that you had the bears in pink dresses in your stash. Sometimes things just work out.
Love the rainbow blocks all together in a quilt. The different kinds give it a sampler look, but better! Way to go!
Hugs

Kathy S. said...

Love all the brights in your RSC quilt! What an awesome mix of blocks.

Quilter Kathy said...

What a great rainbow quilt you have created! You are amazing with turning blocks into finished projects!

Kat Scribner said...

Your RSC Sampler is TOTALLY GORGEOUS! jUST BEAUTIFUL

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Sheila I like the look of that orange block too. And your rainbow scrappy sampler quilt top is just perfection - can't wait to see the backing and the quilting! How sweet the baby panel quilt, and how neat that you had that perfect fabric combo for the backing. It is really pretty! You have been busy with lots of good thing!

Chantal said...

Your RSC quilt is wonderful. Very colourful but not overwhelming. Very well done. I love it.

Ellen said...

Love the RSC quilt top - nice and bright and fun. Your baby quilt is so sweet. I will have to think about using panels for baby quilts as well.

Nell's Quilts said...

Great finish on the RSC quilt. Such a nice mix of blocks to create a colourful top. Love the scrunchie pot scrubbers.

Mystic Quilter said...

Your RSC quilt is a beauty, I love the chequerboard border.

Teresa in Music City said...

Sheila your quilt turned out beautiful!!! Love all the different blocks and colors - amazing :) And the little scrubbies are too darn cute :)

Cathy said...

I can't believe you had bears in pink dresses in your stash. Well...maybe I can. You've sure been a quilting machine lately turning out such gorgeous, colorful and fun quilts. You're such an inspiration!

Andee said...

Way to get all those blocks into a stunning quilt!

Laura said...

Hi Sheila! After talking with you I remembered I had started over a year ago. I spent a lot of time today trying to figure out how to get back to it and trying to remember my password and username! I think I'm back on track! Your quilts are amazing and I love seeing what you are working on! Thanks for sharing at quilt guild :) Hugs, Laura

Laura said...

That should read "I had started a blog over a year ago"

Deb A said...

Love your rainbow quilt! Those little scrubbies are so cute. I really wish I had used darker orange in my sampler block - just love how your's came out.

Judy D in WA said...

Love your scrubbies!
Your RSC quilt is wonderful. You get so much done! That baby quilt is wonderful. Love when quilts come out of the dryer....that's my favorite part of the process. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...