Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Practicing Skills Learned in Wanda's Intuitive Color Class


Before I left Wanda's class Monday, I bought a baggie containing a starter set of 100 lovely batik squares. When I got home I arranged the new squares in the color order of the color wheel as I did with the practice squares in class. The new batik squares are shown in the first picture. Then I created a second colorwash shown in the second picture.
During the last three days I arranged and rearranged the squares in the colorwash using the classroom squares and the colorwash using the purchased batik squares. When I happened to walk by them, I would move squares around if I though I saw a better arrangement.
Today I practiced sewing the classroom set of squares together and that practice colorwash is shown in the third picture.
Wanda encouraged us to feel free to substitute some of the classroom squares with some squares from our own stash as the classroom set of squares were chosen to challenge us as we learned about the color wheel, textures, contrasts and color values. I decided to sew my classroom squares together without squares from my stash to keep as a memento of the class. I plan to use the purchased starter set of batik squares as just that, the first in my collection of batik squares.

11 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Youe might enjoy Debbie's blog - great colorwash and color theory:
http://stitchintherapy.blogspot.com/
What size squares of Batiks are you collecting - I would be happy to send you some.

Impera Magna said...

So beautiful.... methinks you're off on a new adventure, yes?

:)

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

You did a great job on the batik piece. I'm so happy for the feedback after a class.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful work! A colorwash is something I've never felt comfortable doing but you and Wanda are inspiring me!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Amazing! I've never attempted a colorwash but it looks like you've mastered it.

Terri said...

I'll send you some of my batik's if you'll tell the size. Love your colorwashes. I have never tried to do it. All the CWs I've ever encountered were flower based, and I really just don't have that many flowers.
Yes, look at Stitchin Therapy. She does some lovely flower based washes - one with a bird, too. She organizes a charity at Christmas... a dolly quilt to add to cribs made for dolls. I sent my cardinal last year.
Thanks for sharing your new skills.
Hugs!

Michelle said...

Very cool!

Carol Swift said...

So beautiful! I love the colorwash look and would love to try it someday.

Sarah said...

Im loving your colour wash! I did one several years ago. You've made me want to go and dig it out and have another look!

Orange Crumpled Napkin said...

I'm glad to know you had a chance to take her class. It looked like so much fun!

Linda at Roscoe's Ma said...

This is so cool! What fun!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...