Tuesday, June 12, 2012
Slice "DICED" Apples for QAL Finished
My Sliced Apples QAL quilt is finished. I renamed it, Sliced Diced Apples, because the batik fabrics I used reminded me of apples. The batiks used in the backing made me think of citrus. Fruit salad would also be a good name for this quilt, but I've been calling it Sliced Diced Apples for so long I'm going to keep that name.
All the batiks for this quilt came from my batik stash. They were either bought on sale or with coupons. I had enough of the light green batik fabric to make the inner border in the quilt top and the outer border in the quilt backing. I had enough of the batik used to make the lighter diagonals in the center quilt top to also bind the quilt.
When I quilted Sliced Diced Apples, I extended the lines of the "stitch in the ditch" quilting method of the center blocks and diagonals on into the outer border. The quilt looked nice after I finished sewing on the binding, but after a good washing to remove the basting spray and drying in the clothes dryer, this quilt really came to life. The "stitch in the ditch" red diagonals popped.
Sliced Diced Apples finished at about 50 1/2" x 61 1/2".