Thursday, April 17, 2014

Scottie Dog and Three Scrappy Batik Mug Rugs


Using graph paper I shaded in squares and half square triangles to create the image of a Scottie Dog. Then I cut 2" squares of black cotton fabric for the dog and tiny black stars on white cotton fabric for the background. To make the block larger I sewed strips of the background fabric to each side, the bottom and top to make a 12" square. The binding is white scrolls on black cotton fabric. It's quilted with a dense free motion meander, white thread on the background and black thread on the Scottie Dog. A crochet flower and a crochet heart were slipped over a couple buttons to complete the little table topper/wall hanging. The centers of the flower and heart act like button holes making them easily changed/replaced with other crochet pieces. They were made using some YouTube "how to crochet" video clips. Just type in "how to crochet a flower" or "how to crochet a heart", etc. to view lots of "how to" video clips.
Many people in blog land are making and posting picture of mug rugs. I felt like I had to make some, too. It didn't take long to make these colorful 7" x 10" mini quilts/mug rugs with skinny batik scraps and trimmings.

9 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Love your little scottie dog!

Pauline G said...

Love the bright strippy mug rugs - and of course the scotty is so clever

suemac said...

Your scotty dog is so cute.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

The mug rugs are pretty and the Scottie dog so cute. I may have to check out the crochet videos. I have forgotten all I ever knew about crochet.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Another colorful, beautiful collection! The scotty dog is just perfect and I like the changing crochet touches.

Dena@LivingWaterQuilter.com said...

Less is often more. They are lovely.

Sarah said...

Scottie dog is so cute! Very nice mug rugs too! I've had a go at crocheting but never mastered it, so I went on you tube to have a look and I got side tracked by fabric Christmas decorations! Lol

LA Paylor said...

love the mug rugs!
LeeAnna Paylor
lapaylor.blogspot.com

Terri said...

What a clever idea to add buttons and change out pieces! Great mug rugs.
Hugs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...