Friday, November 7, 2014

2014 RSC November Week 2, RSC 6.5" Sampler Quilt Top


I though I had kept up with Angela's 6.5" sampler block post tutorials, but when I counted I had only 79 blocks.. I placed the blocks I had on the floor to see what colors I needed to finish my rainbow sampler. A nine by ten block grid looked good so I decided to go with 90 blocks for my quilt. I substituted a few of the more challenging sample blocks with easier block patterns. My bad.
In the finished quilt flimsy the blocks are sashed with 2" strips of Kona white. The 90 blocks are sashed with 2.5" Kona white strips. The inner dark turquoise border is 1.5" strips..The outer border sides are 2.5" strips of a lighter turquoise. The upper and lower outer border is 4" strips and give the quilt a longer, rectangle look. The flimsy finished at 76.5" x 85.5". It will finish a little smaller after quilting and a go in the washer and dryer. So far, I LOVE IT! Thank you Angela!
I have several large pieces of batting pieces and scraps that need to be used. I hope to piece them together this week for this quilt. I have several fat quarters and larger pieces of fabric in my stash that may work together for a pieced backing. My goal is to have this colorful, scrappy, stash and scrap busting sampler a finished quilt by next Saturday.
To see what others made with their scraps this week, go here Saturday morning.
Still looking for a new computer ...

27 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

What a fabulous quilt! Your quilting skills have grown so thru the years. At some time those 'hard' blocks will seem like a breeze - I think you did just beautifully with this sampler.

Deb A said...

Wow! You beat Angela to the finish line =). Your quilt is beautiful. Love how you decided to border it.

Andee said...

Beautiful! Wow!

Sarah said...

Just fabulous! Especially like the way you have laid your colours out too. Well done!

KatieQ said...

The quilt is beautiful! It is one of my favorite quilts that I have seen on your blog. I really like the way the colors float across the quilt.

Laura said...

So pretty! I love the diagonal rainbow layout!! Amazing work!

Jo said...

Very nice. It's a great top

scraphappy said...

I a SO impressed with your stunning finished quilt! Now I am still out of town and suddenly dying to rush home to finish mine. I love that you substituted blocks to make your unique. Every quilt has its own story and your is fabulous! Congratulations!

Kat Scribner said...

You were faithful to the project. The quilt is so gorgeous, a keeper!

Angie said...

Great ideas! The white smashing and turquoise borders lull everything togetherness.

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

I love your top. It turned out great!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

How wonderful! I love that your piecing the back with scraps too. I plan to use some fabric pieces for my backing as they have been in my stash way too long!

Quilter Kathy said...

Oh my goodness Sheila... that is gorgeous!
I love it!

Cathy said...

No one can ever accuse you of being an underachiever! I come here each week and am blown away. Gorgeous!

Terri said...

It's beautiful!

Lydsfire said...

Your quilt is beautiful!

Debra said...

Stunning! ... and inspirational!

Nell's Quilts said...

The top is fantastic. I think I might prefer it in the 9 x 10 setting. Great finish!

Mystic Quilter said...

Absolutely stunning Sheila, I love the gradual change in colour on the diagonal, you must be so happy with it.

Marly said...

Wow: this is wonderful. I hope mine looks half as good. The white sashing makes the blocks shine.

make.share.give said...

Wow! You did a beautiful job.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Sheila, it is absolutely gorgeous! You are one amazing quilt maker!

Kate said...

Wow! It's gorgeous!

JaDee said...

Absolutely breathtaking!

Terri said...

Pretty colors, beautiful quilt. I love the borders you added, too.
Hugs

Deb A said...

Are you OK? Miss your posts.

Ellen said...

Just wonderful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...