Friday, December 26, 2014

2014 RSC December Week 4


This is a 2014 RSC project that I will carry over to finish in 2015. I stopped making my 5.5" cocoa mug blocks because I ran out of the very bright Kona White fabric used piecing these blocks. I tried to buy more of this bright Kona white twice to finish this quilt. Both pieces were not as bright. A clerk at Jo Ann's suggested I bring a block to the store with me to see if I could match the white in my blocks. I want enough to make six more mug blocks and sash all of them before adding a border. I think it could be a pretty baby quilt. I had no idea matching white fabric would be difficult. Oh well.
To see how others are finishing up their Rainbow Scrap Challenge projects, go here Saturday morning.


Since finishing my RSC sampler quilt, I've been sewing a lot of Teeny Tiny Zipper Pouches. Here are some of them. I can't guess how many I have made, but people love them. They have been nice little gifts this year.


Homemade Super Hero pillowcases are well received each year. I made the two in the picture above for my oldest son. Pillows are slipped inside a flap on these pillow cases. He loved the Super Woman fabric I used.


These slip on pillowcases were made with French seams. The Super Woman pillowcase went to my Nephew for his birthday. I stuffed a new pillow inside it before I gave it to him. He loved it! He remembers watching all the Linda Carter Super Women episodes aired years ago.
I found time to pull a purse pattern and actually make some purses. I've been hesitating to make a purse, because I though they would be difficult and take forever. NOT! I've made seven so far! I'll post pictures of some of them in a future post, maybe Sunday, for Sharon Vroomans' "Let's Book It 2014" challenge.
I hope everyone have a nice Christmas!

19 comments:

Laura said...

So many pretty projects! I love your mug blocks! Hopefully you can find a white that will work, if not I suggest you use a contrasting color (maybe red or orange) for the 6 remaining and just mix them in with your others. It might add a fun interest to your quilt! Can't wait to see it finished! Hope you had a Merry Christmas my friend!!

scraphappy said...

I hope you find the right bright white fabric, those mugs are really adorable. Teeny tiny zipper pouches are addictive. Have you tried the bigger version? There is a tutorial for ear bud cases too, that have been a big hit around here. So many great projects!

Kathy S. said...

The mugs are really cute! Wow on the zipper pouches. Looking forward to more posts with the 2015 RSC! Happy new year!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

The mug quilt is looking good! I love my little zip pouch you made. Look forward to seeing what you tackle with the RSC15.

Katie Z. said...

I would second what Laura wrote, about mixing in the last six blocks. It will just be a design element!

Kate said...

Very fun mugs. Hope you find a fabric that matches so you can finish.

Nell's Quilts said...

Cocoa mugs just seam to need a touch of "cocoa". What about using a lovely rich chocolate colour for your final 6 mugs and the sashing. Or would that be just too corny?

Myra @ Busy Hands Quilts said...

I have read that the Kona fabric that JoAnn's sells is not the same as Robert Kaufman Kona fabric. I've met another quilter who had trouble matching genuine Kona to JoAnn's Kona also.

Terri said...

I had a wonderful Christmas, Thank you! Love the things you've been working on. That mug quilt is amazing. So pretty. If you can't find the right white sub in a few mugs made with the off color, that goes with the strips. If they are sorted around the quilt, they will look like you wanted it that way. (Then tell everybody that you wanted it that way. It's what all the artists do. Some variety breaks up the sameness.)
Cute pillowcases. I haven't tried that yet. And I'm looking forward to seeing your purses. I've tried one to go with a vest I made years ago... needed a pattern and just didn't use one. Too arrogant, I guess. It isn't pretty.
Happy New Year
Hugs

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Oh, my, Sheila, I'm getting a little tired just reading all you've accomplished! What a great list you've completed, and everything looks wonderful!

Cathy Tomm said...

Great mug blocks. How much white do you need? I would try to order some if I were you and not Joannes

Jo said...

Love those zipper pouches. Can't wait for mine

Angie said...

Love the cocoa mugs - what a great way to use print scraps! Perhaps you can find the Kona white you need online? The RSC has taught me to buy white fabrics in multi-yard quantities now!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

oh I like your little mug blocks!! Hope you find the right color to finish them ;-)

Ellen said...

So many wonderful projects - you have accomplished quite a bit!

Debra said...

I love your colorful mugs - look forward to seeing them finished and what you do for this year's RSC. I hate when that happens... but we have all been there. Good luck with finding the right white fabric. I'll keep my pins and needles crossed for you. :-)

Mystic Quilter said...

Mugs - what a great way to use scraps, I love them and hope you can find the white you're looking for and complete the remaining blocks.

Terri said...

For a baby, you could call it Tippy Cups. Lol
Hugs

KatieQ said...

I love the tiny zipper pouches. They look perfect for stowing something small in a purse.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...