Friday, January 9, 2015

2015 RSC January Blue Week 2, A Baby Quilt Finish and A WIN!


This week I played with more blue crumbs and made six 4.5" crumb blocks. I turned the two 8.5" crumb blocks I made last week into a hot pad. To see what others made with blue scraps, go here Saturday morning.
Like many quilters, I have lots of blue scraps. While I have my blue scraps out, I want to turn some of them into boy friendly baby quilts. Sharon Vrooman's "Let's Book It 2015 Challenge" encourages us to pull pattern books from our shelves and use them. About a year ago I won an autographed copy of Rachel Griffith's quilt pattern book called Quilts Made With Love. Rachel's "Bitsy Baby" pattern on page 8 looked like a fun way to use some blue squares cut from scraps. I thought a cannery yellow background would make those bits of blue pop.


A fun blue print from my stash made a perfect backing.


It was quilted with a loose free motion meander, yellow thread in the needle, blue thread in the bobbin. I used yellow fabric like the background for the binding. After a go in the washer and dryer, it finished a soft 38" square. Thank you, Rachel, for creating this sweet baby quilt pattern. This quilt will be either a gift or a charity baby quilt.


Time to brag. Last month, December, I won Sharon Vrooman's Let's Book It 2014 Challenge! Yah! See the cute little barn and charm pin. LOVE IT! I used my Lazy Girl's Runaround Bag pattern in December.

20 comments:

Jo said...

Love the baby quilt

Nell's Quilts said...

The backing on the baby quilt is so adorable. I have some left over insul-bright so some scrappy pot holders might just be on the horizon. Thanks for posting and reminding me of that.

Kathy S. said...

I love the simple squares in the baby quilt. It reminds me of little Pac Men eyes. The backing fabric is perfect. Congrats on your win. What great loot!

Cathy said...

Oh how cute! I can't believe you have a blue scrap quilt finished already! Way to go!

Sally Trude said...

What a great collection of blue blocks. And those blue squares really look like they are floating on your baby quilt.

Scrappy quilter said...

What a fun baby quilt. And congrats on the win!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Terrific baby quilt and congrats on the Book It win!!

Terri said...

Love your Book It win and the canary and blue quilt - sweet! You've got lots of blue blocks set up for different quilts-2-be. I admire your energy and color sense.
Hugs

Katie Z. said...

Good work!

suemac said...

Cute. I love the yellow background fabric

Laura said...

Sweet baby quilt! I love the bright yellow. I am always amazed that you have the perfect backings in your stash :) hooray for the win too!!

scraphappy said...

The blue really does pop against the yellow, love how it turned out. You always have the most happy, bright fabrics to use. Such fun!

Angie said...

Fun baby quilt! I may have to slice up some extra blue squares to have on hand for boy-themed quilts!

Faye said...

How nice to win something!

I love the yellow and blue; your right it does make the blue pop!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

I really like that baby quilt! It just shines. And congrats on your win. Everything looks wonderful!

Kate said...

Bitsy Baby turned out beautifully. Love that bright yellow!

Mystic Quilter said...

Lovely, lovely baby quilt! Great idea for using your blues.

Sarah said...

Very nice baby quilt. Blue and yellow just go together perfectly!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Somehow I missed this post - duh! I have that book too - and yet to use it. Love your baby quilt and all the great blocks. Thank you for linking up.

Pattilou said...

Oh, I'm a sucker for blue and yellow quilts. Yours is so happy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...