Friday, June 26, 2015

2015 RSC June Light Blue Week 4, Doll Quilt and "Let's Book It" Baby Quilt From Men's Shirts


This was the last RSC week using light blue scraps and I have a little to show today. The two crumb blocks I made last week are now a pot holder. A cotton knitted dish cloth made it into the picture. I'm working through partial balls of yarn.
Something new. I used a light blue men's shirt pocket in the back of a pot holder. I slipped a remote control in the pocket to show that is a functional pocket. A few family members suggested I make some pot holders with pockets in the backs to slip their hands into while using the padded side to hold or retrieve hot trays from the oven. This pot holder was made with scraps created when I was cutting up men's shirts for the charity baby quilt shown later in this post. The idea to use a man's shirt pocket on one side of a pot holder came from "The Scrappy Quilter's post." Until I saw this post, I was going to toss the pocket into the trash bin. Mother wants the pocket pot holder in the picture so it will go to her.
To see what others made with their blue scraps go here Saturday morning.
  

Earlier this week I pieced four 8.5" red, white, blue blocks to donate during our monthly guild meeting. That was Tuesday. Guild members turn them into Home Town Hero Quilts.


My plastic tub of 2" scrappy squares was looking lonely so I pulled 121 of them to make the center of this DOLL quilt to sell in the boutique we set up at our annual guild quilt show. Money raised helps buy supplies to make charity quilts. I turned it in Tuesday, too.


It's time to work on a "Let's Book It" project. I have several pattern books and patterns as well as loads of saved links for all kinds of quilty things on my computer. This month I went to my computer "Favorites File" and found this saved link to a baby quilt posted in 2013 by the Fat Quarter Shop. Kimberly used jelly roll strips to make her baby quilt, but I thought it would be a good pattern to use to make my first quilt using fabrics from deconstructed cotton men's shirts.
Previously I bought some cotton men's shirts at the local Goodwill Store and deconstructed them ... but ... have been reluctant to cut into them further. This seemed like a good opportunity. The quilt pictured above required 108 pieces of fabric cut into 2.5" x 6.5" rectangles.


The backing is yellow with teeny tiny white butterflies. They have two black dots on their wings. The binding was cut for the back piece of a green men's shirt. It's quilted with a loose free motion meander using cream cotton thread. After a go in the washer and dryer, it finished at about 35" square. It will be a charity quilt.
The pot holder in the picture was made with skinny trimmings created while cutting the pieces for the baby quilt top. This is the front of the light blue men's pocket pot holder shown in the first picture.

18 comments:

Ramona said...

Your quilt made from recycled shirts is great! I posted one on my blog today, too. Such fun eye candy here on your blog!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Lovely way to end out the month of blue. Cool way to use the shirt pockets. Very cute baby quilts using the shirts - I remember that pattern. Way to search and use those old files.

Anonymous said...

I love the quilt you have made with men's shirts. Such a great idea!

scraphappy said...

Men's shirts make the softest and cuddliest of quilts. Love the little two inch square quilt too. I had not thought about putting a pocket on the back of a pot holder, but it makes a lot of sense.

Angie said...

Love the baby quilt from men's shirts! I love collecting the shirts from my local thrift stores, but had not thought of making charity quilts with them - great idea!

Cathy said...

Cute baby quilt. And I like how you use your scraps right away and make potholders. Nice tip about pocket potholder too.

Quiltdivajulie said...

What a great burst of finishes! Love the potholder with the pocket and the one created with leftover shirtings!

Nell's Quilts said...

What good use for the pocket from the deconstructed men's shirts. Lots of good finishes this week.

Terri said...

Love your shirt quilt and the dolly quilt. What a great idea for a pot holder pocket! Thanks for sharing it with us.
Hugs

Faye said...

Cute doll quilt!

PaulaB quilts said...

Clever use of the pocket for the potholder. The shirting baby quilt is so soft and sweet looking. I followed a uTube on cutting up the shirt. But have not used it yet. You have given me a good example.

Laura said...

I LOVE your baby quilt! I think you picked the perfect pattern to use with the shirts!! Btw, when Ebenezer's has a bag sale would be a perfect time to get lots of shirts for very cheap!

Dasha said...

Pretty little baby quilt. You could use any bunch of strips for that, but the mens shirts make up into a lovely soft looking quilt. Well done.

Kate said...

Very cute baby quilt. I like the pocket idea for the pot holders.

Magpie Sue said...

A pocket on the back of a potholder is a brilliant idea! Will have to remember that one. Love all the progress you made, especially the baby quilt.

quiltedfabricart said...

I love that recycled shirt quilt! and the red, white and blue block just in time for the holiday :-)
nicely done

Wonky Patchwork said...

Lots of making! I especially love the men's shirt quilt, I really like using recycled fabrics and that design does lend itself perfectly to the choice of fabric.

make.share.give said...

Very nice! Isn't it neat how all plaids seem to go together?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...