Saturday, July 4, 2015

2015 RSC July Red Week 1 and Two "Super Females" Reversable Tote Bags


I love RED. This RSC month is going to be fun. I'll add one 12.5" block and three 8.5" blocks to my collections. I'll post some mid-year progress pictures next week. To see what others made with their red scraps go here.


Three nieces are visiting us a few weeks this summer. Two of them like to sew and they each made reversible tote bags. Pictured is the tote made by the youngest girl. The DC super hero print, Super Girl, Bat Woman and Wonder Women, and the patriotic lining fabric came from Walmart. We used two pieces of outer fabric cut 13.5" x 12", two pieces of lining fabric cut 13.5" x 12", two pieces of fusible fleece cut 13.5" x 12", two pieces of fabric for the handles cut 22" x 4" and two pieces of fleece cut 1" x 22" to go inside the handles. 1.5" squares cut from the bottom corners of the outer fabric, lining fabric and the fleece gave the bags square bottoms.
The girls did a great job! Careful cutting, consistent seam widths. They did all the sewing and the cutting after I showed them how to use the rotary cutter and healing mat. I'm very proud of the girls and their reversible tote bags. Next time we'll add pockets!

13 comments:

Nell's Quilts said...

Great red block work. The tote is a success - cute and useful too.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

You know I like the reds!! Great job on them all. Looking forward to progress report. So glad you are passing on that love of sewing to your nieces. They are doing well!

Terri said...

Great job all around. Love your red blocks and the Super bag, too. How fun is your house!
Hugs

Dasha said...

Well done to the nieces. So good to see the younger generation sewing.

Karen said...

Nice red blocks. The girls did a good job making the tote.

scraphappy said...

What great work the girls did. Must be thanks to having a fabulous teacher.

Angie said...

Wonderful red scraps - I'm sure to be drooling over all your blocks this month!

Laura said...

I am loving the red!! Super job on the super girls tote!!! Your nieces's must be talented like you (and they've had a great teacher too!)

make.share.give said...

I love red too! Excellent job on the tote- making things with kiddos is so fun!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I'm lovin' your RED strings and that SUPER(hero) bag!!

sunny said...

Love your red blocks! Very bright and cheery.

Vic in NH said...

When in doubt, add red!!! Your nieces did great work under your guidance but I don't think that you actually mentioned their ages. Being able to say, "I made it myself!" is pure treasure for them.

Kate said...

Love the superhero bag! Your niece did a great job.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...