Friday, November 4, 2016

2016 RSC November Week 1, RSC Wonky Stars Block Quilt Top, Doll Quilt, Solavore Sport Solar Oven


Pictured are a two yellow themed scrappy pot holders to add to my collection. Also a doll quilt.


I should have finished my RSC Column/Row Quilt, but I decided to make more wonky stars blocks for a quilt with a layout of 4x5 blocks. I think I'll add a skinny inner border and a colorful outer border to both quilts. To see what others made with their RSC scraps, go here Saturday morning.


I bought a new toy, a Solavore Sport Solar Oven. Two pots with lids and a thermometer came in the box. There are several YouTube video clips available on the internet that show how people use them to cook.


While the solar oven was out in the sun warming up, I mixed up a Devil's Food Cake using a mix. When I went to put the cakes in the oven, it had reached 220 degrees. Yah!


Though the temperature dropped while I placed the cake pans in the oven, it warmed back up to about 220 degrees in 20 minutes. Ninety minutes later a tooth pick came out clean.


Here is my cake, baked by the sun, with a milk chocolate frosting. It was delicious. Success!

19 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Love the Star quilt! We haven;t seen too much sun here to make use of a solar oven, but how cool!!

scraphappy said...

The star quilt is going to be lovely What a fun way to bake a cake!

Quilter Kathy said...

How cool is that solar oven!?!! That is amazing!
We don't have enough sun here to get anything that warm!
Love the star quilt!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

You probably have enough sunshine in your area for the solar heat. It would be great on a camping trip.

LA Paylor said...

well, you're ready in case the power goes out! Did you save me a piece of cake? You know how I like milk chocolate

The Joyful Quilter said...

LOVE, Love, love that Wonky Star quilt top!! The variety of colors and shading within the blocks will make the end product sparkle. Nice work!!

Kat Scribner said...

I made one of these scrappy star quilts my first RSC challenge year. It looks much better with your white sashing.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love your wonky star quilt! That looks like the perfect block for a scrappy quilt; I need to put it on my list! The solar oven looks like fun, too. I hope the cake was delicious!

Deb A said...

Your wonky star is looking great! What a fun way to bake a cake.

PaulaB quilts said...

Love, love the colorful doll quilt. The wonky stars really shine all together and will be fun with the borders. What hath technology wrought? What better than a solar cake!

Cathy said...

My husband loves to cook/bake in our solar oven. We've had it for a couple of years now and there's no end to his experimenting. We use it to dry our herbs from the garden too.

I'm going to have to try a Wonky Star quilt one of these days.

Ariane said...

Your star quilt top looks amazing! I love your pot holders and doll quilt. It's so cool that you were able to bake in the sun.

Terri said...

Love your wonky star quilt. Such pretty colors.

You certainly are adventuresome... How fun to bake with the sun. Now on hot days you won't have to heat up the house to have your cake.

I thought of you today - talked to a guy with a three wheeler motor cycle. He and his wife have one each, and tour around the country.

Hugs

Laura said...

Cool solar oven!! Love your wonky star quilt top so far! Yellow potholders will be a cheery addition to the kitchen!!

Karen said...

Lots of fun sewing, I need to make some potholders. Yours are bright and cheerful. This time of the year we don't have lots of sun. I hope you have fun with your solar oven.

Angie said...

Solar oven - very interesting! It would come in handy here - after a hurricane when the power is out!

Kate said...

The wonky star quilt is so bright and fun. Beautifully done! I've seen those solar ovens before, but never seen anyone bake a cake in one. It looks yummy.

Sally Trude said...

The solar oven is so cool. Make that awesome. And I love the wonky stars too.

Sarah said...

I love your wonky star quilt. i like the idea of a solar oven, what fun!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...