Saturday, April 8, 2017

2017 RSC April Rainbow Scraps, Baby Quilt, Quick Strippie, Doll Quilt and Occupied Happy Scrappy Houses Finishes


It's been a month since my last post. A lot going on at my house, spring cleaning, family responsibilities. Regardless, I have several pictures to post. This has to be one of my favorite months as all the colors in the crayon box are fair game. Pictured is a Rainbow Crayon block. Also six rainbow string blocks and two 36 patch blocks.
I pulled my box of small scraps, the small pieces I can't bare to toss, and made three very scrappy pot holders. Backs are equally as scrappy and colorful as the fronts. That box of small scraps and skinny strings is my source of colorful scrappy pot holder throughout the year. People seem to like them and they make fun little gifts.
To see what others made with their rainbow scraps, go here.


During spring cleaning, I found a lot of 2" gray and black on white HSTs. I think they were the start of a mystery challenge a few years ago, probably step one. Anyway, not to let them sit in the orphan box any longer, I made nine blocks. There was one little HST left after making these nine blocks. Close. With help from my stash, a colorful charity baby quilt came together. The backing is a novelty fun light green print. It finished at about 38" square. I'll turn it in during the April Quilt Guild meeting.


Pictured are some scrappy red string blocks and a very scrappy red pot holder. A couple rescued house blocks from the orphan box became a pot holder.


This is a toddler size quilt using Mary Johnson's Quick Strippy pattern found on her website of free patterns. This is an easy pattern, my go to when I want a fast charity quilt. It's quilted with organic horizontal lines and finished at about 41" x 56". I turned it in during our Quilt Guild's March meeting.


And this is a picture of the back of Quick Strippy. I used fabric left over from piecing the front with some pink.


A 16 patch block and some HSTs and squares from the orphan box with some squares from my tub of scrappy squares became a donation doll quilt.


I'm proud to post this picture of my RSC Sampler Quilt hanging in the Wilkes County Library last month. Angela hosted a RSC Sampler Quilt Challenge a few years ago. I entered this quilt in last year's annual quilt show and won "Best Use Of Color". I love seeing my quilts on display in the library. Thank you Angela for hosting the RSC.


Any finally .... Here is a picture of my Happy Scrappy House quilt made with house blocks made during the last two or three RSC years. This is a Bonnie Hunter pattern from Bonnie's Quiltville website under the Free Pattern tab. All the houses in this quilt are occupied. I plan to enter it in this year's local annual quilt show. It's quilter with a loose free motion meander and finished at 73" x 83". YAH!

18 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

You are one amazing scrap quilter!
It's incredible what you accomplish!
I'm still trying to wrap my brain around a scrappy month at the RSC!

Jean said...

So good to see your colorful projects. I miss seeing you, but know you have a lot on your plate now.

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a busy month you had!! And SEW many finishes, too. Congrats!!!

Jennifer said...

your leftover HSTs made an exceptional baby quilt! I love how the blocks are B/W and the sashing is the color. great!

Katie said...

Whoa! Lots of photos and great projects. I love the simple, modern feel of the baby quilt made using the found HSTs and it's no wonder your RSC quilt won best use of color - is vote for it, too!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

So many fun photos to look at in your post today! I love the collection of rainbow blocks and finishes in the first picture especially. Congratulations on winning an award for your rainbow sampler quilt! How fun to have it hanging in the library!

PaulaB quilts said...

This post just gets better and better. So many wonderful finishes. Congrats on the rainbow quilt prize. It truly is the best use of color, so well done. Love the houses quilt also.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh Glory Bee!!!! You have been busy and your use of scraps and color just shines in this post. Just love your house quilt and good luck.

Jo said...

Great show n tell. It's amazing what can be made with scraps....

Cathy Tomm said...

Wow you did a great job getting so much done. I love the house quilt you got finished.

Terri said...

I knew you would enjoy the color for April. You have an eye for the multi colored goodness.
I especially love your star dolly quilt. I like the colors and the value changes in it.
The grey HST quilt is amazing. You got those blocks to sing with the colors to surround them. Good job.
Good to hear from you, too. We can see why you've been missing.
Hugs

Magpie Sue said...

Well done! We may have had to wait to see your work but it was certainly worth it! Your quilt hanging in the library looks terrific. Bet they get a lot of good feedback on that!

Kate said...

You've been busy! Love all your scrappy projects. Congrats on the ribbon for your Rainbow Sampler quilt. I bet your RSC House quilt does as well. It's gorgeous.

Deb A said...

I am in awe! First - I LOVE that multicolored crayon! You always have such fun projects and finishes. Your RSC challenge quilt is beautiful and those scrappy houses... I really much pull out mine and finish them this year. Thanks for all the inspiration.

Laura said...

So happy to see your post! I miss your weekly posts but I definitely understand about life. You worked wonders with the multicolor this month!! I am really loving the baby quilt made with the HST.

Preeti said...

Your studio is such an explosion of colors. Congratulations on the ribbon - well-deserved!!!
Mary's Strippy was one of the first patterns I made. I love how easy and quick it was and made an impressive quilt.

Faye said...

lovely projects

Anonymous said...

The content of your blog is exactly what I needed, I like your blog, I sincerely hope that your blog a rapid increase in traffic density, which help promote your blog and we hope that your blog is being updated.

บอลพรุ่งนี้

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...