Saturday, January 5, 2013

2013 Rainbow Scrap Challenge, January, Pink

It's a new Rainbow Scrap Challenge year and January is pink. I had a lot of fun last year! I made some pretty scrappy rainbow quilts and some cute pot holders. This year I plan to make a large rainbow scrap quilt, some scrappy rainbow pot holders and some small Christmas gifts.
If I piece a dozen assorted 8 1/2" unfinished blocks each month, I think I can make a 88"x 88" or larger quilt in December. Some months I want to make a few extra blocks so I can piece a row of rainbow blocks into the backing. Maybe make the quilt a row longer. Each month I will make all kinds of 8 1/2" unfinished blocks because I'll let my scraps decide what kind of blocks I can piece. I want to piece some blocks I have never tried before, for example the pink spool block in the picture. The center is a 4 1/2" square cut from a scrap of colorful striped fabric.
While I'm going through my scraps, I'm going to cut 5" tumblers with my Missouri Star tumbler template, a Daily Deal bargain. The tumbler quilt is a future quilt, probably not this year. I'm also cutting some 2 1/2" squares for a future postage stamp quilt. Again, probably not a quilt I will make this year. But, when I'm ready to make a scrappy tumbler quilt or a postage stamp quilt, I'll have a good start on the cutting.
To see what others have made this week with their pink scraps, go here. Thank you, Angela, for hosting another Rainbow Scrap Challenge year : )

17 comments:

Impera Magna said...

Great blocks... I esp like the spool block! ...and a great idea to cut tumblers and postage stamps for future use!!!

Char said...

Love the pink blocks especially the spool. My DD is so excited she asked yesterday what the next color is. I told her we haven't finished January yet! I might try to do log cabin blocks each month, haven't decided yet.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I have very few pinks and they are mostly dusty pink. Great bunch of things going on there.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Very pretty, I love the spool and log cabin the best I think. This is going to be a very nice quilt for someone.

Linda at Roscoe's Ma said...

Oh gosh. You are awesome. These blocks are so pretty. And your goals are such good ones...reasonable ones. I love it. Sadly my sewing room is still cluttered with Christmas stuff...gift wrap, etc. because my family celebrated over New Year's. (Okay, the family celebration was NOT SAD!!) My goal is to remedy that sewing room craziness today. You've spurred me on!

scraphappy said...

The striped fabric you found for the spool block is perfect. I really like your idea to let the scraps tell you what block to make. Sounds like the perfect way to make the best use of what you have.

Katie Z. said...

You have a great plan for the year!

Angie said...

Love all your pinks! The idea to cut pieces for future quilts as you go is inspired!

Cyn said...

Love your blocks. Your plan is inspiring. What a great idea!

Quilter Kathy said...

Love your plan for the year! You're not only going to have a great quilt and some gifts, but you'll also have your scraps so well organized!

Cathy Tomm said...

Great pink blocks. I love your idea of doing some different blocks and mixing them.

Ellen said...

Oh such pretty pinks! I like that the scraps will tell you what they want to be.

Lori said...

I love a quilter with a plan! Peeked at the 16 and 4 patch quilt--lovely! I gotta get busy.

Elly D said...

What a great way to be using your scraps! I love all your blocks you've done so far. Love pink!!

Candace said...

You have some wonderful plans, it's going to be a fun year.

Deb A said...

Smart to let the fabrics talk to you! Sounds like you will have another wonderful quilt in December.

Sarah said...

I really like your pink blocks! You are such a prolific quilter I always pop into look at your blog if I need some inspiration - thank you!,

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...