Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Christmas Hot Pad





I found a hot pad tutorial at Riley Blake Designs. I used two 8 1/2" squares of cotton batting and six 8 1/2" squares of fabric from my fabric stash. The tutorial called for five, but I though if the triangles separated, I would see the batting. This would not happen with an extra square of fabric under the triangles. Because my sewing machine has issues sewing through many layers, I didn't sew around the edges, turn and sew a quarter inch seam as described in in the tutorial. I simply layered my batting and fabric and bound it like a quilt.
This is how I layered the fabric and battings squares. I placed one fabric square right side down. On top of it I placed two squares of cotton batting, a fabric square right side up, and last of all, the 4 remaining fabric squares pressed into 4 large triangles which were weaved into a square. I bound all the layers like a quilt using a 2 1/2" strip of fabric. It was easy. I tried to choose Christmas colors from my stash, but I think the flower side would work anytime of the year.
This is the link for the tutorial. http://www.rileyblakedesigns.com/cutting-corners/2010/01/20/hot-pads-101/

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...