Saturday, October 31, 2015

2015 RSC October Brown Week 5, Let's Book It Project


This is the last week of October, a month of playing with shades of brown fabrics. This month I finished a brown themed quilt made with deconstructed thrift store men's shirts and woven yardage. Pictures were in last week's post. It was a Let's Book It project from last month.
During the last two weeks of this month, I have been working on another Let's Book It project, another Bonnie Hunter quilt pattern. This one is called Nifty Thrifty and is from her "Scraps and Shirttails" book.  Again, I'm using fabrics from deconstructed thrift store men's shirts and woven yardage. Another brown themed quilt. Hopefully I'll finish this one during November.


My plans are to cut the outer border from the men's shirt under the book. The pattern calls for 5" borders, but I may change that to either a 3" or 4" border if I see I don't have enough of the shirt fabric.
I ran out of the dark shirt fabric I was using in the sashing and will need to improvise the inner border. I'm auditioning a yellow square in the first picture. Seems to look okay.
To see what others made with brown fabrics this week, go here.
I'm also linking this post to Sharon Vrooman's October Let's Book It post.

Here is another cute video clip I found a few weeks ago.


17 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I just really love this one - have this book too. Hmmm - color monthly quilts for RSC - that may be the way I go next year.

gayle said...

That's a great quilt! I love all nine patch variations, and your colors are wonderful, too.

Dana Gaffney said...

What a wonderful quilt! I like the shirt idea, it really adds to the look.

Kate said...

Your men's shirt quilt turned out beautifully! You've definitely been making a lot of progress. I love the Pogo Stick Video. All those Animusic videos are pretty entertaining.

Dasha said...

Lovely lot of colours you have found in the men's shirts. Puts paid to the idea that all men wear blue or white shirts eh?

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Your version of Nifty Thrifty is going to be pretty! That is another pattern I'd like to make one day.

Debbie said...

So great....love what yu are doing with the men's shirts.

Angie said...

Nifty Thrifty looks great! More plaid quilt inspiration!

Nell's Quilts said...

There's something so homey about a nine patch made from deconstructed mens' shirts.

Magpie Sue said...

SO productive! I love the look of those quilts made from men's shirts. The tote bag you made from strips from the shirts is charming too. Well done!

PaulaB quilts said...

Those are very nice quilts, look warm and comforting. I love the Animusic last week and also found the pogo sticks. Passed it on to my granddaughter who said, "Cool, Grandma".

scraphappy said...

Great progress on your men's shirt quilt. Finding enough fabric for the border is always a challenge, love your choice.

Cathy said...

Oh, I love your quilt. I might have to buy that book...after I finish up some quilts from some of the other books I have!

Laura said...

This quilt is going to be stunning too! Are you using left overs from the previous quilt you made? I am curious, how many shirts have you used? Can't wait to see it finished!! Hope you had a happy Halloween!

Sarah said...

I love the shirt quilt! Good question from Laura, how many shirts have you used? And the pogo's are great!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

I love the shirts idea and the quilt and am not familiar with the Let's Book It so I am off to check it out! :)

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful quilt, I have a stack of men's shirts so I really should take them apart and get sewing - thanks for the inspiration!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...